The existence of a gap between the theoretical principles and real practical in various fields such as engineering and technology, science, agriculture, medicine, management and other professional educational programs in Nigeria tertiary institution poses a great need to expose students to machines and equipment, professional work methods and ways of safe-guarding the work area and workers in industries and other organizations in order to improve the practical skills of students.
Knowing fully well that Training is a key factor in enhancing the efficiency and expertise of the workforce and no society can achieve meaningful progress without encouraging its youth to acquire necessary practical skills that will enable them to harness available resources to meet the needs of society- an innovative phenomenon in human resources development and training in Nigerian tertiary institutions by the industrial training fund (ITF). This innovative phenomenon was called The Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) otherwise referred to as Industrial Training (IT).
A portal system can be described in different ways depending on differing point of views. To a user of a portal, it is a web system that provides the functions and features to authenticate and identify users. It provides an easy, intuitive, personalized and user-customizable web-interface for facilitating access to information and services that are of primary relevance and interests to them. However, to the organization that sets up the portal, it is a system that helps the organization to catalogue or organize collections of different and multiple sources of information for dissemination to many users according to their specific privileges, needs and interests. Therefore, the main purpose for setting up a portal is to bring vast information and resources available from many sources to many users in an effective manner. There have been several efforts in Nigeria and in other parts of the world to build portal systems that can facilitate administration and learning in higher institutions.
SIWESFEDPOLYOKO is a portal system hosted by the Federal Polytechnic, Oko in Anambra State, Nigeria. It is designed to help the students who are undergoing their four months SIWES training to connect back to the Institution. The blogsite on the portal helps students to keep abreast of what is required of them while on SIWES training and gives them necessary information as regards to their on-going academic program.
The problem faced by Babcock University, in managing SIWES is yet to be eliminated. This problem includes: Difficulty in checking the profile of the student and improper way of storing student information; Stressful process involve in the submission of acceptance letter; Delay in submission of the weekly and SIWES report, job placement. This research will lead to design and development of a cost effective and user friendly system that automates almost all the entire activities of both the student and lecturer during SIWES.
The aim of this project is to build an Electronic-SIWES management and processing system. The following are the objectives of the project;
- To create a Graphical User Interface (GUI) that will make it easy and user friendly to store and retrieve information in the database
- To digitize all procedures carried out by students and lecturers.
- To implement all the necessary functionalities required for optimal performance of a SIWES management system.
The design and Implementation of Babcock University SIWES Management System can be achieved through the following methods:
- The web-based application will be implemented using Java script, HTML and CSS while the programming will be done with PHP programming language and MYSQL will be used for the database.
- Waterfall Software Development lifecycle will be used.
- Student will be interviewed to find out about the aspect of SIWES processing that will be more effective if automated and the aspect that is more effectively done manually.
- An intense literature review will be done.
This section presents the significance of the system to students and lecturers. However, the significance of e-SIWES to students is that it reduces the burden of having to manually submit documents to their supervisors in school by providing a platform where they can send those documents via the system, however for lecturers it enables quick and easy management of student accounts and review of SIWES reports.
1.6 BENEFITS OF SIWES
- To provide students with proper real world experience outside of the school campus.
- Explore the fields on which the students feel their career interest lies and determine if those careers are suitable for them
Provision of enabling environment where students can develop and enhance personal attributes such critical thinking, creativity